Saturday, January 19, 2013

Ways we Save


There are lots of stuff that we do around here to save and make saving fun. Each and every one of you could come up with something entertaining to make saving cool. I've heard of some families using a cursing jar and that could extend into other possibilities. Check out some ways we save.


1. We do a BUDGET! 
Say Whaa! Absolutely! In my upcoming series on budgeting I discuss tips on the importance of budgeting, how to make it work for you, and ways to stay motivated. A budget at the beginning of each month lets us plan out where our money is going. I can see each dime and how its being spent. I believe this is why many people are afraid to do a budget. If you don't want to see how much your spending, you do not want to save your money, and you are pleased to stay in debt - please, please don't do a budget.

2. We are Coin Collectors 
 Not of fancy quarters or silver dollars, although I would gladly pick those up, but of the good ole pennies and sometimes even nickel, dimes, and quarters that others are too lazy to pick up when they drop them. I'll be honest with you this was never my thing. My husband was always that guy to stop traffic in the parking lot to grab a penny. At the time I was embarrassed, but now a days my two year old and myself will be found doing the same thing. I always tell my husband coins will be the death of us because we will stop an on coming semi to pick up one. Well then these coins are transported to our "Debt Sucks" jar. Not only are your lost coins going in this jar but anytime we use cash and get back change it goes into the jar. I do from time to time add dollars out of my own amusement. If I eat out when I am not supposed to I add that same amount to the debt jar. At the end of each month we take the coins to our bank's coin machine and add this to our debt. Now you will not save  hundreds of dollars collecting coins but it can easily average about $20 a month and $240 a year.

3. Couponing 
Okay so I am no Extreme Couponer, although I tried this once, but I would like to think of myself as a knowledgeable couponer and if I needed one item in bulk I could make it happen. People tend to think of couponing as a chore. I hear lots of times, I don't have time to cut coupons and find deals, but on the other hand I don't have time to be poor. One thing I can't stand is purchasing an item for full price and then next week find it on sale and a coupon in the newspaper. I average about 30 - 40 percent saved each shopping trip. That is for all shopping trips (I don't pay full price on clothing either). There will be a post very soon on couponing.

4. Cut back on eating out
This is probably the number one way to keep some of the money you make. It is also the easiest way to lose the money you make - if you continue eating out. Remember when you eat out your paying for the convenience, experience, branding, and the those cute ketchup packets (I love the Chic Fil A ketchup packets). I can have an experience at home. There was a time when eating out was my life and it is still is a hard lifestyle for me to let go - but it feels good to my pockets. I eat more left overs - pack lunches- and put half the amount of hamburger into my meals. Try cutting back how often your eating out. You don't have to go cold turkey on your Starbucks, just cut back.

5. We moved 
We downsized in September to just enough space for our family. Its cool having all this space in your home and then you realize your not using it and you have to pay for it and keep it clean. We saved $250 dollars a month by moving. That is $3000 a year. If you are in a position where you can't move but you have an extra room look into getting a room mate. Please be careful with that option. You want to make sure you choose someone financially responsible, respectable of your property, and preferably someone you know. I know the last suggestion is not always a guarantee, but you really need to be careful when moving strangers into your home.

Its fair to say that at this point every penny I save is contributed to paying off debt. What are you saving for?

No comments:

Post a Comment